The Ruling Family
`The Al Thani family is the royal family of Qatar. His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani is the Emir. As head of state, he is also the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Qatar, and represents the State internally and externally and in all international relations.
His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani was born in Doha in 1952. He received his primary, preparatory and secondary education in Qatari schools. He joined the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in England and graduated in 1971.
Upon leaving the Military Academy, His Highness joined the Qatari Armed Forces with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, and was appointed Commander of the first Mobile Regiment, now called Hamad Mobile Regiment. He was promoted to the rank of Major General, then Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces.
In May, 1977, he was appointed Heir Apparent and Minister of Defense. He acceded to power in 1995.
Under His Highness's rule, Qatar has witnessed impressive growth in modernization and wealth. From the development of a world-class oil and gas infrastructure to the creation Al Jazeera Network, to the winning of Qatar's bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup, affirmations of his extraordinary leadership skills and vision are evident in all facets of Qatari society.
The Emir's honors and awards include:
- Medal of Oman, 1975
- The Nile Sash, Egypt 1976
- King Abdul-Aziz Medal, Saudi Arabia 1976
- Diagam Tanda Kehormation, Indonesia 1977
- Order Francisco de Miranda, Venezuela 1977
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Michael and St. George, UK 1979
- Grand Officer de la Legion d'Honneur, France 1980
- Al Muhamadi Medal, Morocco 1981
- Sash of Merit, Lebanon 1986
- Al Hussain Bin Ali Necklace, Jordan 1995
- Medal of Merit, 1st class, Oman 1995
- Medal of 7th November, the highest decoration Tunisia 1997
- Grand Croix De La Legion D'Honneur, France 1998
- Ordre National du Lion, Senegal 1998
- Nishan-i-Pakistan, the highest decoration in Pakistan 1999
- Des Grosskreuzes, Germany 1999
- Ordinul National Steaua Romaniei, Romania 1999
- The National CEDAR Medal of the Order of the Greatest Sash, Lebanon 2000
- Cavaliere di Gran Croce, Italy 2000
- Order of Republic, Yemen 2000
- Order of Jose Marti, Cuba 2000
- Greater Star, Cote D'Ivoire 2002
- Al-Mohammadi Medal, Morocco 2002
- The IAAF Golden Order of Merit,The International Association of Athletics Federations 2005
- White Rose of Finland, Finland 2007
- The Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer, Greece 2007
- The Grand Cross of Merit, Dominican Republic, 2008
- Knight Grand Cross of the Grand Order of King Tomislav, Croatia 2009
- Honorary Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath, UK 2010
- Grand Cross of Order of the Netherlands Lion, Netherlands 2011
His Highness the Deputy Emir and Heir Apparent Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani is the crown prince of Qatar. He was born in 1980, and graduated from Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 1998. He became The Heir Apparent in 2003.
The Deputy Emir holds a number of other posts, including:
- President of the Qatar National Olympic Committee
- Member of the International Olympic Committee
- Chair of the Supreme Education Council
- Chair of the ictQATAR
- Chair of the Board of Directors of Public Works Authority (Ashghal)
- Chair of the Board of Directors of Qatar Investment Authority
- Chair of the Board of Regents of Qatar University
- Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Qatar Armed Forces
- Deputy Chair of the Ruling Family Council
- Deputy Chair of the Supreme Council for Economic Affairs and Investment
- Deputy Chair of the High Committee for Coordination and Follow Up
Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser is the wife of the Emir.
Popularly known as "Sheikha Moza," Her Highness is Qatar's foremost advocate in education and social reforms. She currently serves as Chair of Qatar Foundation, and has been the driving force behind many of its initiatives, including Education City and Al Jazeera Children's Channel.
Sheikha Moza is well-known internationally for her participation in many United Nations humanitarian initiatives.
Her other roles include:
- Founder of the Supreme Council for Family Affairs
- Vice Chair of the Supreme Education Council
- Vice Chair of Supreme Council of Health
- Chair of Sidra Medical and Research Center
- Chair of Silatech
- Chair of Arab Democracy Foundation
- Founder of the Shafallah Center for Children with Special Needs
- Chair of Education Above All
- Alliance of Civilization Ambassador